L train service resumes after early morning water main break shuts down service between Manhattan and Brooklyn

Photo via Twitter/@NYCTSubway

L train service resumed between Brooklyn and Manhattan following a water main break early Wednesday morning, according to New York City Transit. 

Flooding at the intersection of Driggs Avenue and North 7th Street in Williamsburg led to flooding at the Bedford Avenue subway station around 4:30 a.m., according to the New York City Transit Subway Twitter account.

The MTA suspended L train service between Union Square and Myrtle Av. after the flooding, with L trains are running in two sections: In Manhattan, between 8 Av and 14 St-Union Square. In Brooklyn, between Myrtle Av and Rockaway Parkway. 

L train service resumed around 7 a.m. after water was taken off the tracks.

NYCT announced that Manhattan-bound J and Z trains would be making local stops in Brooklyn through the morning rush to accommodate L train riders. Additionally, L train service has resumed between 1 Av and Myrtle Av with extensive delays in both directions and urged straphangers to take nearby 3, A, C, J, M trains and connecting bus service, according to NYCT. 

The MTA has since released the following statement:

“This morning around 4:30 a city water main break in Williamsburg caused water to enter the subway system in the area of the Bedford Av L train station.  Our drains successfully and safely took in the water, due in part to extensive drain cleaning that has happened as part of both the Subway Action Plan and the ongoing L Project.  In addition to drain cleaning, the L Project includes resiliency upgrades to the line and stations including an 8 inch-high step outside all of the new station entrances, which helped reduce the amount of floodwater entering the Bedford Av station and helped us restore service faster.  After this morning’s water main break, L service was suspended between Myrtle Av and 1 Av as power had to be shut off while DEP worked to stop the water.  Customers were served by alternate subway lines and shuttle buses, and regular L service resumed with residual delays at 7:05 in the morning.”