A long-time motorcycle and e-bike shop in the Bronx burned to the ground in a massive 4-alarm fire overnight, fire officials said.
One firefighter suffered minor injuries in the blaze that took several hours to extinguish.
The fire broke out just after 8:20 p.m. on Oct. 19 in the Arrow Cycle Shop at 4055 White Plains Road in the Wakefield section of the Bronx. When firefighters arrived, they found the heavy fire had already spread into the ceiling among the numerous motorcycles and e-bikes, many considered highly combustible – both the gasoline engines and the e-bike lithium ion batteries.
Firefighters were pulled out of the building early on as small explosions inside created extreme hazards. The fire quickly escalated with more than 150 firefighters surrounding the blaze from all angles and nearby rooftops to protect other buildings.
Firefighters were still on the scene in the morning, extinguishing pockets of fire after most of the roof collapsed into the building.
Many residents stood outside the 50-year-old business that was a staple for motorcycle enthusiasts and e-bike users, especially those doing deliveries in the Bronx.
“This bike shop has been in the area for a long time.” It was the place to get great bikes and we will miss them,” said Catherine Mendes, a resident of the community.
The fire was under investigation by fire marshals at this time, but was not considered suspicious, officials say.