Police Blotter, week of April 24, 2013

Grand theft motorcycle

A motorcycle was scooped up off the streets of Battery Park City on Tuesday, police reported.

The owner, 29, said he parked his red and white 2011 Ducati 848 Evo outside 235 South End Ave. at 6:45 a.m. on April 16, while he was at work. At 7:15 a.m., he went back outside and saw that his $20,000 vehicle was gone. According to police, signs of the motorcycle being dragged away were evident, including marks from the kickstand on the pavement. A police canvass of the area was negative.

Photographer ripped off

Professional photography equipment was stolen from the vehicle of Florida man on Sunday. The man, 28, reported to police that $2,683 worth of gear was stolen from his van parked at the Seaport in front of 129 Front St. on April 21. The equipment included a Canon 60D camera, lens, 16 gigabyte memory card, a shoulder bag, lithium battery, LCD screen protector, battery grip and assorted records.

The man said his car was parked and locked from 2:30 a.m. to 7 a.m. According to police, there was no sign of forced entry, broken glass or pry marks.


Transit crime

The subway system swallows a large chunk of change every year thanks to rising rates and transit theft and the past week was no exception.

One such incident occurred after a man left his jacket in the station. The victim, 43, told police that on Tuesday, April 16 at about 2:50 p.m., he set his jacket, containing his wallet, on a bench on the 4/5 train platform of Bowling Green station. He boarded the train and left his jacket behind. He said he realized soon after, got off the train and returned to Bowling Green, but the jacket was gone. He also reported that when he got home and called his bank, he discovered that $31 of unauthorized charges had been made on his cards. Police listed the missing property as his Columbia jacket, wallet, shoulder bag, a $300 business check, two car remotes worth $200 each, his driver’s license and credit cards.

The next day, a woman reported that she was pickpocketed while in line at the Canal St. (A, C, E)  station.

The 24-year-old said she was waiting to enter the platform near Sixth Ave. and West Broadway at 4:55 p.m. on Wed., April 17. As she stood in line for the highwheel, she said she felt a man bump into her repeatedly. After clearing the entrance, she went to put her MetroCard away and realized that her wallet, containing $120 in cash, a $50 personal check and credit and debit cards, was missing from her purse. She could not identify the thief, police said. She cancelled her credit cards with no unauthorized usage.

A Good Samaritan made sure that his dozing neighbor did not lose property in a similar way, police reported.

According to police, a witness stopped a police officer who was walking though a southbound 1 Train at the South Ferry station early in the morning on Fri., April 19. The witness, a 22-year-old man, allegedly told the officer that he had seen two men steal a phone from a sleeping passenger.

The first man had reportedly sat next to the snoozing victim, also 22, and removed his phone from his right, front pocket while the other man watched from the last car on the train. The pickpocket then allegedly asked the witness how much he wanted to pay for the phone, to which he replied, “no thank you.” The duo walked to the last train car door.

Police arrested Jaye Harper, 37, and Timothy Glover, 28, at 5:27 a.m. in connection with the crime and recovered a black iPhone 4S from under their seat.

Soho handbags swiped

Yet another designer bag thief has hit a Soho boutique in the past week.

An employee told police on Sat., April 20 that she noticed a $4,150 bag missing from a shelf in the Louis Vuitton store at 116 Greene St. She then checked the security footage, which she said showed three women and a man enter the store and lean against a shoe rack. One of the women allegedly walked over to the shelf and removed the Sofia Coppola bag before handing it to another of the women. All four of them exited the store. Police said the woman waited another three hours before contacting the N.Y.P.D. to report the theft.