Jilted lover guns down woman on City Island, then run down by her boyfriend: police

Photo via Getty Images

Charges are pending against a 66-year-old man who allegedly shot a Brooklyn woman to death in the Bronx on Wednesday afternoon, then was run down by the victim’s boyfriend when he apparently tried to escape. 

Police said the wild incident happened on City Island at about 12:29 p.m. on April 14 near the Veterans Memorial Triangle at the corner of City Island Avenue and City Island Road.

According to law enforcement sources, the 66-year-old man allegedly shot Lizbeth Mass, 52, of Renaissance Court in Brooklyn multiple times about the body. According to CBS New York, Mass was working at a construction site at the time of the shooting.

The motive for the shooting remains unknown at this time, but police sources said Mass and the suspect were acquaintances who had a prior relationship. Published reports indicated that the suspect was her ex-boyfriend.

The intersection of City Island Avenue and City Island Road, near the City Island Bridge.Photo via Google Maps

Authorities said Mass’ current boyfriend, a 58-year-old man, witnessed the shooting and then spotted the 66-year-old man hopping on a bike in an attempt to get away. Cops said the boyfriend, while operating a 2016 Hyundai Sonata, rode up to the suspect and struck him, knocking him to the ground.

Police reported that the victim’s boyfriend then got out of the car and held the alleged shooter down; the episode prompted a number of bystanders to gather at the location. According to police, the bystanders then held the 66-year-old man at bay while the victim’s boyfriend tended to the wounded Moss.

Officers from the 45th Precinct and EMS units responded to the scene. Moss and the alleged shooter were rushed by paramedics to Jacobi Hospital Center. 

Law enforcement sources said Mass died of her injuries a short time later, while the 66-year-old man — who suffered trauma to his body — was listed in stable condition. Following questioning, police took him into custody at the hospital. 

No charges have been filed against Moss’ boyfriend at this time, police said. The investigation remains ongoing.