Authorities tracked down and charged the suspect believed to be responsible for mowing down a Brooklyn pedestrian more than a decade after the homicide took place, police said.
Police sources report that 46-year-old Anthony Cherestal was wanted since Sept. 3, 2010, when he allegedly got into a verbal argument with 52-year-old Ernice Auguste outside of 5210 Foster Avenue in Flatbush. While it is unclear what sparked the confrontation, police do not believe the pair knew one another. The dispute ended with Cherestal purportedly entering his vehicle, zooming onto the sidewalk, and driving into Auguste before fleeing the area.
Auguste was found by police on the street with severe trauma. EMS rushed the victim to NYC Health and Hospitals/Kings County where he succumbed to his injuries.
According to sources with inside knowledge, after 13 years on the lam, NYPD Homicide Cold Case, the Warrant Squad and more collaborated on the investigation, receiving information that Cherestal had been hiding out in the Dominican Republic. Police cuffed Cherestal and extradited him back to the Big Apple where he was charged on Wednesday.
Police sources told amNewYork Metro that they were determined to capture the suspect responsible for the “heinous” crime no matter how long the process took.
Auguste is charged with murder.