Man charged for shoving his girlfriend in front of a Lower Manhattan train, cutting off her legs

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg announces conviction of Randall's Island rapist
Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg.
Photo by Dean Moses

The man who shoved his girlfriend into an oncoming Manhattan train last month, mutilating her legs, has been indicted on attempted murder charges the Manhattan District Attorney’s office announced Thursday.

Christian Valdez, 35, made headlines on March 9 when police say he allegedly shoved his 29-year-old girlfriend on the roadbed of the Fulton Street Station at around 12:20 a.m. The pair had apparently been arguing over which train they were going to catch while standing on the platform of 2 and 3 lines when Valdez became engaged and pushed his girlfriend into the path of a downtown train.

According to court documents, Valdez fled the scene, but eyewitnesses called 911. First responders arrived at the scene to discover the victim under the train. After a rescue, she was rushed to Bellevue Hospital where both of her legs were amputated, and she suffered fractured ribs and a blot clot in her lungs.

Valdez reportedly fled to New Jersey but was ultimately arrested mere hours later when he tried to return to the city wearing the same clothing he had been seen in during the near-deadly shove.

On April 11, a New York State Supreme Court indicted Valdez on one count of Attempted Murder in the Second Degree and one count of Assault in the First Degree.

“As alleged, Christian Valdez callously threw his girlfriend into an oncoming train,” District Attorney Alvin Bragg said. “His alleged vicious actions caused serious and permanent injuries, including the amputation of both of the victim’s legs. We take all acts of violence against riders very seriously, and my thoughts are with the victim as she navigates this terrible and horrifying incident.”    

According to NYPD Chief of Detectives Joseph Kenny, on Sept. 13, 2017, Valdez was apparently cuffed for stabbing a 37-year-old woman and her 3-year-old daughter in a Bronx apartment. Valdez served four years behind bars for the brutal attack before being released on parole on Jan. 9, 2023.

Almost one year later on Dec. 20, 2023, police reported, Valdez stabbed an ex-girlfriend in front of 2973 East Tremont Avenue. She suffered multiple stab wounds and needed a slew of stitches to close them.