Four people dead, two Queens cops seriously injured in stabbing rampage

Police at scene of violent Queens stabbing
Two officers wounded, family murdered in Far Rockaway stabbing on Dec. 3.
Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

Four people are dead, including two children, and two cops are hospitalized after an unhinged man went on a stabbing spree in Queens Sunday morning, police said.

According to Chief of Department Jeffery Maddrey, police received a chilling 911 call from a frantic 16-year-old girl at 5:10 a.m., reporting that her cousin was murdering her family.

Two cops from the 101st Precinct rushed to a home located 467 Beach 22nd Street, where they spotted a man rushing out of the driveway carrying some luggage. The two cops — one a 28-year veteran of the force and the other with 16 years of service under his belt — began quizzing the individual in regards to what he was doing at the location. In an instant, police said, he pulled out a knife and lunged at the cops.

Two officers wounded, others critically injured in Far Rockaway stabbing on Dec. 3.Photo by Lloyd Mitchell
The murder weapon was recovered at the scene.Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

“They had an encounter that lasted about 10 seconds. The male draws a knife on our officers. He stabs one in the neck, chest area and he strikes the second officer in the head,” Chief Madrey said. “A 28-year veteran is able to withdraw his firearm, he’s able to discharge his weapon to stop the assault and he was able to stop the perpetrator.”

Both cops were swiftly whisked to Jamaica Hospital, where it is expected they will survive the attack. The suspect, identified as 38-year-old Courtney Gordon, was also rushed to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

“Unfortunately, we are frequent customers,” Maddrey said of Jamaica Hospital.

Those who live in the area described the moment the terrifying incident unfolded.

“I heard pop pop pop,” one neighbor said. “It woke me up out my sleep and then I heard the sirens. It is scary.”

Chief of Patrol John Chell shows the recovered murder weapon was recovered at the scene.Photo by Dean Moses

Law-enforcement swarmed the scene where, according to Chief Maddrey, cops discovered an 11-year-old girl tragically dead in front of the home. However, when police tried to enter the residence to investigate further, they were met by a raging fire.

“It seems [Gordon] lit the couch on fire as he was leaving,” Chief of Detectives Joseph Kenny told amNewYork Metro.

Once the flames had been dosed, cops poured into the home to discover a bloodbath. A 12-year-old boy, a 44-year-old woman, and a man estimated to be in his 30s were all found dead with stab wounds to their bodies. A 61-year-old woman was also rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital, where she is now fighting for her life.

“This scene was chaos, multiple victims, a house on fire and a madman on a rampage, on a mission,” Police Benevolent Association President Patrick Hendry said in an impassioned speech from Jamaica Hospital. “I know both of these police officers personally – an unbelievable job, true professionals. Just great men who were doing their job and again thank God they were there.”

“This scene was chaos, multiple victims, a house on fire and a madman on a rampage, on a mission,” PBA president Patrick Henry said in an impassioned speech from Jamaica Hospital.Photo by Dean Moses
The luggage the suspect was carrying when he attacked officers.Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

Gordon allegedly used a steak knife to commit the heinous crimes, with that being the only weapon that has currently been recovered. While motivation for the rampage has not yet been established, police say Gordon has one prior arrest for domestic strangulation in the Bronx.

According to police sources, the young woman who dialed 911 is recounting her story to detectives at the 101st Precinct, during which authorities hope more details will come to light.

This is a breaking news story, check back with amNewYork Metro for updates

Additional reporting by Lloyd Mitchell

Two officers wounded, four others died in Far Rockaway stabbing on Dec. 3.Photo by Lloyd Mitchell