Quantcast

MTA returns R179 subway cars to service after they were pulled off tracks last month

R179 subway cars at the East New York Yard on Thu., January 9, 2020. (Photo by Marc A. Herman/ MTA New York City Transit)

The R179 subway trains are now safe, the MTA says, after the new subway cars were pulled off tracks due to door malfunctions earlier this month. 

About half of the 300 subway cars, which run along the A, C, J and Z lines, were placed back into service this morning with the full fleet set to be in service over the weekend.  

“We were determined not to return cars to service one day before we were satisfied the issues identified were fully resolved and the safety of the cars was assured.”said MTA Chief Operating Officer Mario Péloquin. 

On Dec. 24, doors on R179 cars running on a southbound C line unexpectedly opened in between stations and doors failed to open at Jay Street, MetroTech station on Jan. 7.

The MTA removed the fleet and alerted Canadian manufacturer Bombardier Inc. to the issues and then hired a third party, LTK Engineering Services, to inspect the cars. Bombardier later blamed the malfunctions on door supplier Kangni for not properly calibrating the car doors. 

According to reporting from THE CITY, the R179 train have been plagued with issues with the doors malfunctioning at least 10 times between Dec. 1 and Jan. 7.  

AMNY Newsletter

Eat it. Drink it. Do it. Tackle the city, with our help.