VIDEO: Abduction attempt in Brooklyn comes to a bizarre end

062420 by Paul MARTINKA. Woman hostage stabbed in Brooklyn
Police remove mentally ill man after he tried to abduct a child and stabbed a woman with a fork in her apartment. (Video by Paul Martinka)

An attempted kidnapping by an emotionally disturbed man on a Brooklyn street Wednesday ended in bizarre fashion at a nearby apartment, where he stabbed a woman with a fork, fondled himself, and then took a shower, police said.

Police say the man, not yet identified but said to be in his 30s, was nabbed on June 24 after a brief standoff. The cops apparently arrived while the emotionally disturbed man was showering.

The incident began at 3:39 p.m. on June 24 as a woman walking with her child was walking on Quincy Street and Stuyvesant Avenue when the man approached her and commented, “What a cute baby.” At that point, he grabbed the child and tried to drag her off.

A Good Samaritan intervened and stopped the abduction and the man then fled into 680 Quincy St., where police say, he forced his way into an apartment where a woman was just entering.

That led to a physical struggle with the victim, whom the disturbed man knocked to the ground after punching her in the face. Cops said he then broke a window of the third-floor apartment, grabbed a fork from the kitchen and stabbed her in both legs.

Police say the woman said the emotionally disturbed man then stripped off his clothes and began fondling himself. Moments later, he ran into the bathroom for a shower.

The Good Samaritan who foiled the abduction attempt had called police, and officers from the 81st Precinct arrived and entered the building. They found the wounded woman, who managed to flee on her own accord. She was taken to Kings County Hospital for treatment of injuries that were not life-threatening.

Law enforcement sources said Emergency Service cops got inside the victim’s apartment and grabbed the man in mid-shower.

Quincy Street turned into pandemonium as they brought out the emotionally disturbed man who was chanting incomprehensibly. Some people on the street began yelling at police, believing the suspect was being treated improperly and not knowing what had occurred.

Police said the disturbed man was being treated for psychiatric issues; he has not yet been charged in the case, pending further investigation.

The NYPD said he has a history of mental illness, and they were checking to see if he had recently stopped taking medication.

Cops stand in front of 680 Quincy Street where two people were stabbed. One person was taken into custody. Photo by Lloyd Mitchell


More from around NYC