Quantcast

Mets’ J.D. Davis ‘pretty confident’ IL stay for hand contusion will be short

JD Davis Mets
JD Davis has missed the Mets' last seven games after being hit by a pitch last week.
Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

New York Mets third baseman J.D. Davis said on Sunday that he feels “pretty confident” that his stay on the 10-day injured list for a left-hand contusion will be a short one after being shelved, retroactive April 7, on Saturday.

“It’s day-to-day with the swelling,” Davis said. Every day it’s progressing in the right way. I’m feeling confident with how it’s feeling, but I can’t foresee how it’ll be in three, four days.”

The 27-year-old was diagnosed with the injury after being drilled by Philadelphia Phillies starting pitcher Chase Anderson on Tuesday where the notion of an IL stint was almost immediate.

“It was a conversation from Day 1 or that night that I got hit,” Davis said. “The goal is to never go on the IL or anything like that. So we continue to progress and get treatment every day. 

“I came in, took some grounders, got a lift in, did some conditioning, did some hand isolation… there was still discomfort there… a pinch there. Just a matter of time and for the swelling to go down.”

Davis added that his hand feels fine when fielding, but most of the discomfort derives from the batter’s box. 

“I can grip the bat, or at least hold it, but when I rotate… that’s when there’s more discomfort or a pinch,” he said. “That’s just from all the swelling and the blood, just have to wait for it to get out.”

Davis recorded one hit in three at-bats during the opening two games of the Mets’ 2021 season before being hit by that pitch. In his absence, the Mets have turned to a combination of Luis Guillorme and Jonathan Villar to assume third-base responsibilities.

 

 

More from around NYC