Some of the country's best barbecue is headed to Madison Square Park this weekend.
The annual Big Apple Barbecue Block Party returns for its 15th year on June 10 and 11, filling the park with 15 pitmasters and their signature meats and sides.
There will also be live music, with eight groups and two DJs set to perform on stage at the park's southwest corner. The 2017 lineup, according to an announcement released May 23, includes the Brooklyn-based blues/rock/folk band the National Reserve and country singer-songwriter Cris Jacobs.
As for booze, that will be on tap at two beer gardens, one on the north side of the park, and a second on the south side.
Proceeds from food and beverage purchases benefit the Madison Square Park Conservancy.
Admission is free to the public, but a $150 "FastPass" entitles ticketholders to express lane access and $125 worth of merchandise. A $250 VIP pass tops those perks with credentials for a hospitality tent and open bar.
Here's what the 15 pitmasters on the roster are serving this year, for $12 a plate:
- Jean-Paul Bourgeois, of Blue Smoke in Manhattan — brisket burnt ends with chipotle barbecue sauce and summer corn salad
- Billy Durney, of Hometown Bar-B-Que in Brooklyn — smoked beef short ribs with pickles and onions
- Joe Duncan, of Baker's Ribs in Dallas, Texas — St. Louis ribs with jalapeno cole slaw
- Jonathan and Justin Fox, of Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q in Atlanta, Georgia — brisket, jalapeno-cheddar sausage and potato salad
- Ash Fulk, of Hill Country in Manhattan — brisket with house pickle
- Sam Jones, of Skylight Inn/Sam Jones BBQ, in Ayden, North Carolina — eastern North Carolina whole hog sandwich with sweet slaw
- Chris Lilly, of Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q in Decatur, Alabama — pulled pork sandwich with spicy mustard coleslaw
- Pat Martin, of Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint in Nashville, Tennessee — west Tennessee whole hog with coleslaw
- Mike and Amy Mills, of 17th St. BBQ in Murphysboro, Illinois — baby back ribs with tangy pit beans
- Nick Pihakis, of Jim 'N Nicks Bar-B-Q in Birmingham, Alabama — smoke pork hot links with piemento cheese
- Garry and Leslie Roark, of Ubon's Barbeque in Yazoo City, Mississippi — Mississippi chicken wings & sausage with Bloody Mary cucumber salad
- Scott Roberts, of The Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, Texas — brisket with sausage and sesame coleslaw
- Rodney Scott, of Rodney Scott's BBQ, Charleston South Carolina — St. Louis Ribs with coleslaw
- John Stage, of Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Manhattan — St. Louis ribs with beans
- John Wheeler, of Memphis Barbecue Co. in South Haven, Mississippi — baby back ribs with beans
The East Village's Root & Bone will be serving extra Southern sides (think grilled corn and grits) and dessert is courtesy of Texas' Original Fried Pie Shop and Mississippi's Sugaree Bakery.