NYC SHOOTINGS: Brooklyn gunfire leaves one dead, three others wounded

A man was shot and killed in front of the Allah School in Medina in Brownsville. (Photo by Lloyd Mitchell)

One man was killed and three others were wounded in separate shootings in Brooklyn between Saturday night and Sunday morning, police reported. 

The lone fatality occurred at 12:57 a.m. on Oct. 18 in Brownsville, where a 22-year-old man was shot in the chest, arm and leg in front of the Allah School in Medina near the corner of Watkins and Livonia Avenues.

Officers from the 73rd Precinct found the the victim unconscious at the scene. Paramedics rushed him to Brookdale Hospital where he was dead on arrival. Police have withheld his identity, pending family notification.

Police took a man into custody at the scene, but did not reveal if he was the shooting suspect. Spent shells were found at the scene.

A man looks down at blood following a shooting at 316 Livonia Ave. (Photo by Lloyd Mitchell)
Blood is splattered on the ground at the Allah School in Medina in Brownsville where a man was killed overnight. (Photo by Lloyd Mitchell)

East Flatbush also saw two people just blocks away from each other in what police believe to be gang violence.

The first incident in the neighborhood happened at 7:52 p.m. on Oct. 17, when a 19-year-old male was shot in the left chest in front of a deli at 974 Rutland Road.

Officers from the 67th Precinct said the victim was rushed to Kings County Hospital in serious, but stable condition. It was unclear who fired the shots at this time and police are looking at surveillance video for clues.

In the second East Flatbush shooting, at 2:30 a.m. on Oct. 18, a 42-year-old man was shot in the back during a dispute at the corner of Clarkson Avenue and East 95th Street. 

Police from the 67th Precinct were looking for a white four-door sedan last seen fleeing eastbound on Clarkson Avenue.

The final shooting in Brooklyn happened in Park Slope at 3:42 a.m. Sunday morning, when an innocent bystander was shot and seriously wounded at the corner of Fourth Avenue and Bergen Street.

According to officers from the 84th Precinct, two warring parties in two cars – a gray sedan and a blue Infiniti sedan, shot at each other at that corner. One of the bullets strayed and struck a 58-year-old man in the head.

Paramedics rushed the victim to Methodist Hospital, but his wounds were not considered life-threatening.

Numerous spent rounds were found at the scene. Investigators believe this may have also been gang-related.

Police are also investigating a report of shots fired in Jamaica Hills, Queens. Officers from the 107th Precinct said two groups fired shots at each other in Captain Tilly Park early this morning near 165th Street. No one was struck, though cops found spent rounds at the location.

Anyone with information regarding any of these shootings can call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (for Spanish, dial 888-57-PISTA). You can also submit tips online at nypdcrimestoppers.com, or on Twitter @NYPDTips. All calls and messages are kept confidential.

Gun buyback a success

Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr. and the NYPD hosted a gun buyback event at Bethel Gospel Assembly in Harlem on Saturday that netted 48 guns from approximately 40 residents.

“Gun buyback events are impactful tools for crime prevention and community building, especially in times of increased gun violence in our City,” said District Attorney Vance. “I want to thank our partners at the NYPD, the leaders at Bethel Gospel Assembly, and all those who helped make their community safer by participating in today’s event while practicing social distancing.”

The buyback offered community members the opportunity to anonymously turn in their firearms in exchange for prepaid gift cards. Individuals received $200 for handguns and assault rifles and $25 for rifles, shotguns, and airguns. The recovered weapons include: 19 revolvers, 17 pistols, four rifles, one shotgun and seven other guns.

All volunteers and attendees were required to wear masks, and social distancing measures were in place.

More from around NYC