Police Blotter, Week of Jan. 29, 2015

A screen grab from a surveillance video provided by police, showing the alleged attempted-rape suspect inside the E. Sixth St. building on Dec. 28.

GRAND LARCENY:  Pilfered Pooch
A Brussels Griffon dog valued at $2,500 was stolen from its playpen at CitiPups (147 Eighth Ave., btw. 17th & 18th Sts.). At 5:45 p.m. on Wed., Jan. 21, a woman walked into the store and, oddly, “appeared to be crying,” according to employees. She asked to see the dog and, at one point, placed it in a pink bag and proceeded to walk out of the store (leaving her coffee, but taking the pooch). A canvass of the area by responding officers yielded negative results. Police, who were provided with video surveillance, noted that the dog has been embedded with a microchip. Although not able to track movement, such devices do provide information that enables missing pets to be reunited with their owners.

ROBBERY: Bench Warmer Had Warrant
A 22-year-old woman and her boyfriend, having exited a nearby nightclub at 5 a.m. on Sun., Jan. 25, sat down on a bench near the northeast corner of Ninth Ave. & W. 16th St. They were soon approached by a man who sat down on the woman’s pocketbook. Responding to her protest, he told her, “Shut the f–k up. Give me your money and your cell phone or I will f–k you up.” That foulmouthed threat drew the attention of an officer in an unmarked vehicle, who found the 57-year-old in possession of the victim’s cell phone. It was also discovered that the perp had an active warrant for his arrest.

Two canines were struck, in separate incidents on Wed., Jan. 21. At around 5:20 a.m., a resident of W. 16th St. was walking her dog. While crossing on the 300 block of W. 15th St., a passing vehicle hit the dog and did not stop. The woman was unable to provide police with a make, model, color or plate number. At 6:55 a.m., on the northwest corner of Ninth Ave. & W. 42nd St., a nearby resident was crossing the street — when a truck, making a turn, hit the man and his dog. The man, who told police he had the “walk” signal, suffered minor pain. Both dogs were killed.

Customers, many of them guided by employees, ran from the Home Depot at 40 W. 23rd St. (btw. Fifth & Sixth Aves.), when shots rang out just after 2:30 p.m. on Sun., Jan. 25. Responding EMS workers and NYPD officers from the 13th Precinct found two men in Aisle 12 (the lighting department). An employee of the store, 31-year-old Calvin Esdaile Jr., of Brooklyn, was pronounced dead at the scene — having turned the gun on himself after shooting Moctar Sy, a 38-year-old from the Bronx (witnesses reported overhearing a tense exchange of words, prior to the gunshots). Sy, a store manager, was rushed to Bellevue Hospital, where he died from wounds to the abdomen and chest. A .38-caliber revolver was recovered from the scene.

—Scott Stiffler


Located at 230 W. 20th St. (btw. 7th & 8th Aves.). Commander: Deputy Inspector Michele Irizarry. Main number: 212-741-8211. Community Affairs: 212-741-8226. Crime Prevention: 212-741-8226. Domestic Violence: 212-741-8216. Youth Officer: 212-741-8211. Auxiliary Coordinator: 212-741-8210. Detective Squad: 212-741-8245. The Community Council meets on the last Wed. of the month, 7 p.m., at the 10th Precinct. The next meeting is Feb. 25.

More from around NYC