Police Blotter, week of May 15, 2014

Teen stabbing

Police arrested two teenage boys after one of them allegedly stabbed another teen during a brawl on Canal St. on May 9.

A Bronx girl, whose age was not disclosed, told cops the incident began while she was walking with her boyfriend, 17, also from the Bronx, along Canal St. near Sixth Ave. around 4:45 p.m. The couple was approached by two boys they apparently knew ― a 17-year-old nicknamed Rico, who lives in an East Harlem public housing development, and a 16-year-old nicknamed Trigger, who lives in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

Police say the girl got into a heated argument with Rico, after which her boyfriend stepped in to intervene. Rico responded by pulling out a knife, police said, but then dropped it while he and the boyfriend got tangled up in a fistfight. Moments later, however, Trigger reportedly picked up the knifed and stabbed the boyfriend in the lower back, after which both he and Rico fled the scene, according to police.

After police arrived on the scene, the stabbing victim was rushed to Bellevue Hospital and treated for minor injuries, after which the girl gave the teens’ names and whereabouts to cops. Police later arrested the suspects at their respective homes, and both were charged with assault.


Subway snatches

This unfortunate man might have avoided his problems if he’d only chosen a different subway train ― but as it was, he was targeted by an opportunistic thief after falling asleep on a southbound 1 train early on May 9, according to police.

The victim, 32, who lives in Brooklyn, told cops he finished having drinks with co-workers at a Hell’s Kitchen bar around 3 a.m., and walked to the subway station at W. 42nd St. and Eighth Ave. to wait for a southbound A train. But the trains were delayed, and after waiting for around 40 minutes, he gave up and walked over to Seventh Ave. to catch the 1 train.

Once on the train, the man apparently fell asleep with his backpack sitting on the floor between his legs, police said. When he woke up as the train was pulling into the Canal St. stop, he realized the bag was gone. He got off and reported the crime to the nearby First Precinct, but since he didn’t see any suspects or feel anything while sleeping, the police don’t have much to go on.

Later that day, another unfortunate subway rider was targeted around the Downtown area ― and this time, it was on the A train.

The female victim, 44, was on a northbound A train around 3:30 p.m., after boarding in Brooklyn, and later told cops she was bumped multiple times by another woman during the ride. When the train stopped at Fulton St., the alleged bumper walked off, and moments later the victim realized that her iPhone was missing from her purse.

After the victim reported the incident to police, officers were able to use the “Find My Phone” app to track the phone to a street corner near the northern tip of Staten Island. However, police in Staten Island were unable to locate the phone thief after being informed of the incident.


Up in smoke

Maybe now this guy will learn the dangers of smoking, after his cigarette break allowed a thief to snatch his bag from inside a Financial District bar on May 9.

The victim, 34, told cops he was having drinks at Stout on 90 John St. around 8:15 p.m. and had hung up his bag ― containing his laptop and cell phone ― on a hook under the bar. He then stepped outside for a smoke, leaving the bag unattended for several minutes. When he returned, the bag was gone.

Video surveillance footage taken from inside the bar shows an unknown male enter the room, grab the bag and walk out, police said ― but no arrests have been made yet.


Stylish shoplifters

Two shoplifters targeted a Tribeca menswear shop on May 7, making off with more than $1,500 worth of merchandise, police said.

An employee of The Armoury at 168 Duane St. told cops that the two unknown males walked in around 2:30 p.m., took the items ― two pairs of Armani pants ($375 each), and a $680 leather tote bag and $95 umbrella ― off their display racks and walked out.

Police said they’re still investigating, but no descriptions of the suspects were given.