The Biden-Harris Administration discreetly revealed Wednesday, Oct. 12, that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will now be turning away some migrants from the southwest border.
It is believed this new policy between the DHS and the Mexican government will immediately instill a new migration enforcement process solely for Venezuelans arriving to the United States illegally, potentially ebbing the flow of the tired and huddled masses to New York City.
The announcement called the process a more fair, orderly and secure immigration system. According to DHS, four times the number of Venezuelans compared to last year have fled the economic and humanitarian crisis, stemming from their country before arriving in Mexico and crossing the Southwest border.
“Effective immediately, Venezuelans who enter the United States between ports of entry, without authorization, will be returned to Mexico,” part of the statement from DHS read.
The department charges that by implementing these procedures it will allow government agencies to target human smuggling organizations through new migration checkpoints, increasing resources and personnel, and more. Additionally, the United States will offer security assistance in areas like the Darién Gap, where migrants often traverse to get to the borders.
With Mayor Eric Adams declaring a State of Emergency on Oct. 7 due to the influx of humanity, Hizzoner reacted to the New White House policy, calling it a short-term step.
“While details are still emerging, this federal action is a short-term step to address this humanitarian crisis and humanely manage the flow of border crossings. But a long-term and proactive strategy is still needed, which includes Congress both passing legislation that will allow asylum seekers to legally work and providing emergency financial relief for our city. And, ultimately, we additionally need a bipartisan effort to deliver long-awaited immigration reform so we can offer people a safe, legal path to the American dream. We are grateful to President Biden and his administration for our ongoing dialogue to address this humanitarian crisis and look forward to continuing to work closely with them moving forward,” Mayor Adams said in a statement.
Public Advocate Jumaane Williams also reacted to the news Wednesday. The public advocate had just finished touring the Asylum Seeker Resource Navigation Center on 520 West 49th St., which offers services to newly arrived migrants when amNewYork Metro inquired about his thoughts on the procedure.
“I’m not sure if that is going to be the best way to handle that,” Williams told amNewYork Metro. “We have to make sure that we’re treating people humanely, and if people are trying to seek asylum to the United States, then we have to allow them to do that. But we have to provide the resources necessary to do that as well in the cities and states that are dealing with these issues.”
Williams is empathetic to the difficult decision migrants make by partaking in a dangerous journey, some with their families, others alone.
“That’s a tough decision to make. That means something bad is really wrong in your life… Our economy is built on immigrants or asylum seekers who are not U.S. citizens who are undocumented.”
The new policy comes on the heels after New York City’s shelter system has been inundated with over 18,000 migrants, many of whom came from Texas after Governor Greg Abbott transported thousands of asylum seekers like cattle through charter busses. Some of the requirements set forth in this vetting process include forcing those arriving to already have a someone in the United States to provide financial and other support, pass biometric, security, undergo public safety screenings and have complete vaccinations and other health requirements.
Migrants who have crossed the border illegally after Oct. 12 will be ineligible to remain in the United States or have been removed over the past five years.